In honor of our first year as a married couple, I want to share a little list of some #marriagetruths that I can confirm are, in fact, both hilariously and painfully true…Let me know if you agree!
1. You have to do a lot of stuff you won’t want to do…but so does your partner. Somehow this makes you feel better about doing said stuff you don’t want to do.
2. Handing your spouse a roll of toilet paper through the bathroom door is an act of true love.
3. Your insecurities don’t automatically go away just because you know your partner thinks you’re beautiful. But it is nice to know that you are beautiful to someone, especially when you don’t feel it yourself.
4. 90% of marriage is discussing what to have for dinner via text message.
5. Money spent on things that may avoid fights (like a weekly cleaning service, or buying access to a business class lounge while traveling) is money well-spent.
6. Couples therapy isn’t just for doomed couples. We haven’t done it, but we think about it often. Sometimes having a neutral third party is all you need to resolve an issue that could turn into something bigger if ignored.
7. Netflix cheating is grounds for divorce.
8. You can still do things alone (I know, SHOCKING, right?). Just because you’re married doesn’t mean you have to be glued at the hip. While we love to be together, it is just as fun to take a solo trip to visit a friend, go out to bars without your spouse, or go to a cafe alone to read a book.
9. Always eat something before you pick a fight. Trust me.
10. A Friday night at Costco followed by watching movies at home really does sound like heaven, and I’m not ashamed to admit it.
11. You hear a lot of the same stories over and over again. And you have to be interested in them. Every time.
Happy anniversary honey! Thank you for being the best partner a girl could ask for.